THE F.M.A. IS BASED IN THE TRADITIONAL FISHING VILLAGE OF PITTENWEEM, WHERE IT MAINTAINS THE INFRASTRUCTURE THAT SUPPORTS THE THRIVING, LOCAL FISHING INDUSTRY.
The Fishermen’s Mutual Association (Pittenweem) Ltd was formed in 1948 when a group of local fishermen got together and decided to form a co-operative. The idea being that they united and sold their daily catch as a group instead of as individuals.
The FMA has gradually evolved over the years, becoming oil distributors by installing tanks on the pier, opening their own chandlery to supply gear and all fishing needs for the boats, and gradually including the general public by selling clothing, homeware and a variety of other products.
Adapting to a changing world
The modern day FMA handles all shellfish caught by the fleet and arranges their purchase and transport to buyers across Scotland. Overseen by a member-elected committee, the FMA now employs six full-time members of staff to run the day-to-day operations and tend to the needs of the boats and crew.
There are no whitefish landed in Pittenweem now, which when you consider the heydays of the 1970’s and 1980’s when 1,000 boxes was a poor day, shows the complete turnaround of the local fishing fleet. Now there are boats catching langoustines, lobsters, crabs and other varieties of shellfish. These are available to the general public for purchase and collection from the FMA Office in Pittenweem.